Hey all! This week we’ve newer travel blogger Thomas from Amid the Ruins!
1. First of all, what are your website and social media links?
2. How did you come up with your website name?
My big passion is exploring ruins: both modern ones (urban exploration) and ancient. So I often find myself amid the ruins. There’s a lot of exciting stuff in there.
3. What more can you tell us about your blog? What are your goals or intentions for it?
I want to share my passion for exploration and adventure with people all around the world, explore the most interesting abandoned places the world over, and some day find a lost city nobody’s seen in centuries!
4. Can you provide us with a Throw Back Thursday picture of one of your favorite travel memories with an explanation?
5. Which are your favorite and least favorite cities you’ve traveled to? Why?
Least favorite? Anywhere I’m stuck with a bunch of smokers. Favorite? Oh man, hard to choose, but the street art in Melbourne is just out of this world. Plus I got to live on my friend’s boat in the docklands there!
6. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten? Where?
At a Nubian wedding in Egypt I ate a soup made out of mallows (the things that marshmallows were traditionally made from) that had the consistency and appearance of raw eggs. They didn’t know what it was called in English, so I was pretty sure it was raw eggs for a while.
7. Who are your travel idols?
Definitely the aforementioned Will Hatton of the Broke Backpacker, and also old school guys like Rick Steves and the National Geographic crew.
8. What’s your best travel tip?
Pack light. You don’t need nearly as much stuff as you think.
9. Which is your favorite post you’ve written?
Gotta be The Abandoned Island Resort
10. What advice would you give to someone new to travel blogging?
I am new to travel blogging! So I guess do what I’m doing: reach out to other, more experienced bloggers, like you!